Sail Trim Seminar and Timed Circuit Racing
OCSC's Sail Trim Seminar and Timed Circuit Racing Activity
In our Sail Trim Seminar you'll learn the whys and hows of advanced sail shaping and how to trim your sails for maximum speed. Your sails provide all of your power, so optimizing their shape and trim will allow to sail your best whether you are cruising across the bay or racing around the buoys.
Timed Circuit Racing lets you apply your newly acquired skills right away! Simply reserve a boat (be sure to say that you are doing Timed Circuit Racing when you book!), assemble a crew, and then get fired up to race. We'll have a course set up with a committee boat to start you, record your times and offer suggestions for improvement. You can rotate your crew to see if you post better times, or challenge another boat to beat your best time. After racing is done for the day, we'll announce the results and have a post-race debrief for all boats back at the club.
- Trim Concepts and Definitions
- Jib Tim and Controls
- Mainsail Trim and Controls
- Upwind Sail Trim vs Downwind Sail Trim
- Genoa Sail Trim
- Plus many more topics covered in the post-racing debrief
Good to know:
- Sailing gloves and sailing shoes or boots are important, but in racing they absolutely necessary. Racing is also tough on the knees so knee pads are recommended.
- Racing involves periods of physical activity, followed by periods of inactivity, so dress in layers and avoid cotton under layers. Racing also involves sitting on the rail at times exposed to the full force of wind and waves. Good foul weather gear is a must; if you don't already have your own then you may rent OCSC foul weather gear.
- If the true wind speed exceeds OCSC's limit for instruction the Timed Circuit Racing will be canceled. Otherwise we sail rain or shine.
Cost for Sail Trim Seminar:
- Member: FREE
- Retail: $15 per person
Cost for Timed Circuit Racing:
Per person in addition to the boat charter fee
- Member: $10
- Retail: $15
# of students:
- 6 maximum
- One Day
Saturday or Sunday
Sail Trim Seminar: 10 am - 12 pm
Timed Circuit Racing: 1 pm - 4 pm
Skipper needs to be Basic Cruising certified
(We also recommend sufficient skipper and helm experience to fully enjoy this activity)
Timed Circuit Racing
- Sat, 6th 10:00am Seminar
- Sat, 6th 1:00pm TC Racing
Timed Circuit Racing
- Sun, 18th 10:00am Seminar
- Sun, 18th 1:00pm TC Racing