OCSC's "Celestial Navigation" course
The ability to navigate anywhere in the world using celestial bodies is the pinnacle of seamanship skill. OCSC's Celestial Navigation course teaches you the art and science of navigating an ocean passage by heavenly bodies. Learn the principles, tools and techniques of celestial navigation, culminating in your ability to find an exact position using a sextant and the sun, stars, moon and planets.
Successful completion prepares you to:
- Navigate offshore using a sextant and your new skills in case your GPS fails.
- Member: $50
- Retail: $50
- One 7 hour Sunday session
Here are some of the things you'll learn in our Celestial Navigation course:
- Use of the sextant, the nautical almanac, H.O. 249, and sight reduction tables.
- Navigating by the sun, the planets, the stars, and the moon.
- Calculating celestial phenomena.
- Taking latitude sights.
- Working with Universal Plotting Sheets.
This course is not currently scheduled. Please email us if you are interested or call us at 510.843.4200.