- # of students: 6 Maximum
- Format: 3-hour minimum
- Prerequisites: None
- Boats Used: Any of ours, or your own boat
Have a tough schedule or very particular goals? Then we can tailor private lessons to meet your needs. OCSC can create a lesson plan based on the syllabi of any of our courses, or you can tell us exactly what you'd like to accomplish in your personal training. You can even take lessons on your own boat. Instructors are available to teach any classroom or on-the-water skills you might need.
Your lesson can be a one-on-one experience, or you're welcome to bring other people. If you want your companions to receive formal training, we apply a reasonable hourly surcharge per person -- still much less than the regular hourly fee. If they are along for the ride, or to crew for you, there is no additional charge.
- $150/hour for the Instructor ($112.50 member), $15/hour for each additional student.
- Plus the cost of chartering the boat (not applicable if the lesson is on your boat)
- Anything you want!
Good to know:
- If you wish for instruction on your boat, your instructors will meet you at your boat in your marina, (travel time would be included in the fee calculation) or you can bring your boat to the Berkeley Marina to begin your lesson. Travel time for some common marinas is as follows: 15 minutes each way at the hourly rate for San Leandro, Alameda and Richmond marinas; no additional charge for Emeryville or Berkeley; 30 minutes each way for San Francisco, Tiburon, Benicia, Vallejo and Sausalito marinas.
- Federal law states that licensed instructors must not operate vessels they know to be unsafe when carrying students for hire such as a private lesson.
- It is wise to ensure that your boat would be considered seaworthy by a professional before scheduling a private lesson. If the watertight integrity, the dependability of the engine, rigging or steering is in immediate question, the instructor will have to restrict the training to topics that can be done safely. That may require remaining at the dock and working on academic topics. For boats that are in the Berkeley Marina, we are happy to offer a static review of the boat's readiness free-of-charge if you register for a private lesson on your boat.
- If your boat is elsewhere and you are at all concerned about her condition, consider having a nearby boat yard take a quick static survey and give you some advice.