As every good businessman knows, collaboration leads to higher performance. OCSC's Team Challenge cultivates just the kind of collaboration you want to see in your team. It's action-packed and engaging, but it also models the communication and problem-solving skills that are so essential in today's business environment. We bet that for your group, Team Challenge will long be remembered as a turning point, and all of the skills that team members learn will transfer back to the work environment.
The full-day curriculum focuses on helping participants develop the teamwork necessary to handle a yacht and maneuver it around a series of challenge courses on San Francisco Bay. In the morning, the team builds their sailing skills, guided by a professional instructor, so that your people quickly learn how to command and control the vessel. Then, in the afternoon, the teams apply their new skills to sailing challenges focused on your strategic objectives. On board the yachts, each participant takes command of the vessel, steering the boat and guiding the team through the objective, while the other team members control the mainsail, the jib, and act as tacticians.
Some teams need work on communications, others collaboration, some on teamwork, leadership and fellowship. After rigorous rounds of doing and learning, the team members rotate positions until each has steered successfully through the course. They then can determine the ‘optimum’ team assignments based on their skills, talents and new insights while they continue to improve their results. Learning is fast. Our facilitator/skippers witness lots of "aha!" moments onboard.
We've seen it over and over again in Team Challenge: Performance improves rapidly as the team works together to develop communication, reinforcement and cooperation. The results can be stunning, especially for those who may have had no previous sailing experience. As Ed Valencia, President of Citicorp TTI, said of an OCSC Team Challenge, "Nothing that achieves such terrific results should be so much fun. The experience that all of us had on the Bay was invaluable. We are a better team for it."
Like a Team Regatta, with a Team Challenge, you have two types of boats to choose from, depending upon the type of experience you want: If you have small sub-teams, choose the J/24, a 24-foot performance racing yacht. Then you'll experience the drama of being close to the water and in tight quarters, in a nimble boat. With a J/24, a team of four can have a wet and wild experience with tiller steering and a professional skipper right on board. But if your sub-teams are larger and your team might want a drier sail, choose the J/105, a 35-foot performance racer that has more open space, wheel steering, room for 6, the possibility of flying a spinnaker, two professional skippers, and more speed.
Team Challenge or Team Regatta...What's the difference?
The Team Regatta and Team Challenge are two distinct events that are designed with different objectives in mind. The Team Regatta is a competitive experience among boats, while the Team Challenge fosters collaboration among an entire team.
Details, Pricing & Reservations
OCSC's Team Challenge includes:
- Performance racing yachts (J/105 or J/24)
- Chase boat and crew support
- Professional skipper(s) on each yacht
- All sailing gear
- Digital group photo
- Exclusive use of the clubhouse during the event
- Continental breakfast, gourmet box lunch, and après-sail celebration party
- Ice cold soft drinks and bottled water on the yachts
Using J/24 yachts (24'):
- $425 per person
- Pricing based on four participants per J/24
- Three boat minimum (five boat maximum or 20 participants)
Using J/105 yachts (35'):
- $495 per person
- Pricing based on six participants per J/105
- Two boat minimum (five boat maximum or 30 participants)
- Awards and trophies starting at $25 per person
- Event collateral (jackets, vests, hats)
- Professional event photography and video
- Catering and après sail entertainment
- Ask about possible alternative pickup and drop-off locations: San Francisco, Sausalito, Treasure Island, and more...
|8:00 - 9:00 am||Arrival and continental breakfast|
|9:00 - 9:30 am||Welcome and orientation|
|9:30 - 10:00 am||Gear up and team briefings|
|10:00 - 12:00 pm||On the water - team sailing skill practice|
|12:00 - 1:00 pm||Lunch on the club deck|
|1:00 - 1:30 pm||Orientation briefing|
|1:30 - 4:00 pm||On the water sailing|
|4:00 - 5:30 pm||Wrap-up and après-sail celebration|
- For reservations, or to discuss your objectives and our program, please feel free to call toll free: 800.223.2984.
- You are also welcome to fill out our "Teambuilding Information Request Form" and we will follow up with you promptly.
- The direct email to our Teambuilding Department is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to speaking with you!